Thursday 9 April 2009

Tennis fashions of yore

Amongst the craziness and angst that has been March tennis (just don't talk to me about Roger), Jim Courier gives us a slightly alarming insight into the death of men's tennis short shorts. It's all Pete Sampras's fault, apparently:
As Pete started rocking the long shorts on the match courts every other manufacturer got on the train and the rest is history. Rafa took it to the next level with the "low boys" but has since pulled back from the edge (of his ankles). Now and then I hear from people who mention that they miss the short shorts and would like to see them make a comeback. I am not in that camp and find it funny (and awkward) when I see clips of us playing in those days. My K-Swiss shorts these days are the perfect length, just above the knee cap. A few yrs ago Johnny Mac and I were practicing in NYC and he surprised me by pulling off his sweatpants to reveal the blue and black checker board Nike short shorts from 1984 (vintage) that he had pulled out of his closet. He fit in them perfectly (which is pretty awesome in and of itself) but even Mac was forced to admit that he looked ridiculous. 
So there you have it...a little tennis fashion history, not that you asked for it... 
The full post is here
Thank you, Jim. Now I am fixating on Rafa in a little pair of tennis hotpants. Would satin be good or bad? Why yes, my mind has many hidden shallows, thanks. While my mind's in the gutter, have some Feli Lopez: 



No comments:

Post a Comment