Tuesday 28 April 2009

I just need to win the French Open

Roger's Rome interview for Tennis TV is interesting. He sounds a lot more wary than usual about his chances, aware that his confidence has taken a hit, but he also sounds like he's being realistic, and maybe a tiny bit hopeful that this is the point where he starts to get back some form. Rafaesque, he says he's not looking past the first round at the moment.

It's clear that he doesn't know really yet where his game is. He's lost it somewhere, in the last year, and from what he says I guess he doesn't think it's come back yet. He's been working on his forehand and 'working to get his serve back'. I must say I'm glad to hear that he's being so realistic and focussed about what he needs to do with his game.

Another interesting thing is that he admits that recent losses have not only dented his confidence but that they have confused him, leaving him unsure of what areas of his game to work on.  I remember him saying recently that he doesn't work on his weaknesses. But here, he says that his losses have propelled him to work maybe on the wrong things, strengths instead of weaknesses. 

This seems important and it strikes me that, like many people have pointed out, Roger cuts a bit of a lonely figure. He's confused, and who's there to help him wade through all this confusion and focus on the things he needs to work on most? Most importantly, someone to help him work out what he does want from this part of his career. 

I sometimes wonder if it would help him mentally to be 'on message' about what he wants, and cut down on the contradictions:
"I don't necessarily need to get to No. 1; I just need to win the French Open," Federer said. "That's what my goal is.
Compared with: 
"If you're not No. 1 then it's about winning titles and getting back No. 1. That's the position I'm in now."
Interview is here.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment